Paul Williams over at Marketing Profs Daily Fix, has a fascinating post about "Service Language." He worked on the "Green Apron Book" for Starbucks employees to make sure that they are always on the same page about customer service.
I had never thought about making sure everyone in the company speaks the same "service" language, and I LOVE the idea about calibrating service language. This essentially gives everyone in your company some key words and attitudes that should ALWAYS be used when dealing with a customer. For example, at Starbucks:
- Be Welcoming: Offer Everyone a Sense of Belonging.
- Be Genuine: Connect, discover, respond.
- Be Knowledgeable: Love what you do. Share it with others.
- Be Considerate: Take care of yourself, each other and our environment.
- Be Involved: In the Store, the company, in your community.
I am going to implement this at Palo Alto Software, ASAP. I think making sure that your company treats every customer exceptionally, and equally, is mandatory. Read Paul’s full post and see if you agree.
-Sabrina Parsons, aka Mommy CEO